Beaton PR, a public relations consultancy based in New York, is focused on positioning clients’ brands for optimal success across the dynamic media landscape.
We develop strategies that address clients’ specific public relations needs. Whether media relations, crisis communications, media training, or editorial content development, our customized media plans generate real results.
We help clients tell their stories across multiple media channels, maximizing their online presence and engagement. Utilizing more than a decade of journalism and public relations experience, Beaton PR creates vivid narratives that capture clients’ unique brand attributes and translates them into campaigns that resonate with the media and target audiences, ensuring clients' achieve their public relations goals.
During his time as an award-winning reporter, Matthew covered some of the financial services industry’s biggest stories – including the post-financial crisis recovery; growth of passive investments; Bill Gross’s sudden departure from the world’s then-largest bond fund; and the fight over the Department of Labor’s fiduciary rule. He has written for the Financial Times, Ignites, and The Hill, among other outlets.
Matthew’s public relations experience has focused on the representation of law, financial services and tech firms. Prior to Beaton PR, he oversaw media relations for the international law firm WilmerHale’s Securities Department and worked with the firm’s Intellectual Property, Litigation/Controversy, Regulatory and Government Affairs, and Transactional departments. He has a deep network of journalist contacts across the banking, finance, legal, securities, and tech sectors. He has developed and implemented novel strategies to raise clients’ profiles across a variety of media channels, effectively generating news coverage, developing and placing op-eds, and coaching clients on engaging with the press. Additionally, he has helped clients protect their reputations in times of crisis and safeguard their brands when assessing media inquiries.
Matthew has strengthened clients’ reputations through strategic media planning; highlighting company news and accomplishments (major victories, recent hires, product roll-outs, new business units, and awards won); developing relationships between clients and journalists; pitching and working with reporters on feature articles for clients; generating interviews/quotes quotes for clients in trend pieces; conducting media training with clients; placing client-authored articles; writing press releases and news postings; overseeing crisis management; conducting media analysis; tracking media coverage; developing op-eds; drafting and editing award/survey submissions; and counseling clients on other media-related activities.
Matthew earned his bachelor's degree in business administration from Florida Atlantic University in 2008 and his master's degree in mass communication from the University of Florida in 2010.
• PR News – “Trending: PR and Legal are Collaborating on Regulatory Issues” – Matthew Beaton is interviewed about how communications professionals should work with attorneys and what techniques they can employ to identify and defend against potential regulatory problems that can harm organizations.
• O'Dwyer's – “Rethinking Corporate Apologies” – Matthew Beaton writes in an op-ed that: “The slightest misstep in today’s social-media-driven culture can push companies into crisis mode – issuing knee-jerk public apologies that can cheapen genuine expressions of contrition down the road and even result in long-term reputational harm.”
• PR News – “Harvey Weinstein Attorney Bets PR Strategy Will Pay Dividends” – Matthew Beaton writes in an op-ed about the PR strategy Donna Rotunno, attorney for Harvey Weinstein, has used to build her profile in the media, while defending one of the most loathsome public figures in recent memory.
• PR News – "Your Brand is Getting Sued. Now What?" – Matthew Beaton discusses how companies should respond to media inquiries when they face a lawsuit.
• Cointelegraph – "Brave New World for Cryptocurrency Regulation" – An op-ed written by Matthew Beaton about the impending regulatory and enforcement crackdown by the Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission on the cryptocurrency industry.
• The Hill – "As public scorn grows, hedge funds must go on offensive" – An op-ed written by Matthew Beaton about the need for hedge funds to use the news media to communicate their value to the public.